Every startup founder nightmare is sales. As they say "Sales can cure everything". Generating b2b leads is not an easy task specially for founders. At one side you want to focus on product or technology i.e the love of your life and at other you have to grow sales that will ensure your startup lives. One of the biggest reason of startup failure is not getting product market fit and in early days of your startup journey it takes lot of experimentation to get to a point of PMF. This becomes even harder for B2B startups. Sales cycles are long and you may not have experience of doing one to one sales and on top of all : how to get someone showing interest in your B2B startup? The fastest way to grow your business is by doing fast experimentation with different segments of customers.
Create different targeting segments of customersThe process of getting more b2b leads and finding product market fit is by understanding which type of customers resonate with our products or services. The best way to do that is by creating multiple targeting segments. Example: If you are into software testing business then create segments like following:
- Companies with employee size 1-10 and 11-50 (SME's) that are having mobile apps and are based out of a specific location.
- Companies with employee size 1-10 and 11-50 that are ecommerce companies and are based out of a specific location.
- Recently funded Companies that have 1-10 and 11-50 number of employees.
- Actively hiring companies for software testers and that have more than 500 employees.
Create lookalike audience for improving b2b leadsIf you already have 10 customers the next step is to get to 100 customers. You can create lookalike audience similar to your existing 10 customers. Find following info using Linkedin for your 10 customers and understand their patterns.
- No of employees: How many employees these companies have?
- Industry: Which industry they fall into?
- HQ location: Where are they based out of?
- Title/Roles who made decision: Who decided to buy or use your software/service?
- Tech stack: What kind of tools/technologies they use?
- Type of company: B2B or B2C?
Create targeting personas of titles/rolesThe right way is by targeting the right person who is either responsible for making purchase decision or the user of the product. If you will create an excel sheet like above then you will understand which roles are the decision makers of your product or service. The next targeting campaign or piece of content you make should ideally focus on their pain points and how to address them. This way your response rates and conversion will improve and eventually your b2b leads.
A/B test email subject line and body of emailEmail copy and subject lines are super critical. We have worked with various customers and helped them improve their email subject line. Having a good email subject line improves your open rates and if you have a good email copy it improves your response rates & b2b leads. The subject line often comes from the roles/titles you are targeting. We at EasyLeadz use following subject lines when our EasyBot targets companies for us:-
- Nitin, Quick question?
- Looking for a sales contact in your company
- Nitin, do you need virtual sales assistants to find leads for you?
- Quick, can we talk?
- Nitin, you checked our website?